Wednesday Men’s Thought
- What is courage?
- How would you define courage or being courageous?
Oxford definition- the ability to do something that frightens one. “He called on all his courage to face an ordeal”
Strength in the face of pain and grief. “He fought an illness with great courage”
- In what ways have you seen someone be courageous or you yourself have been courageous?
- What about Biblical courage? Is that something different?
- Is courage always good?
- Is there such a thing as bad courage? Bad meaning courage that doesn’t honor God?
- Is being strong and having courage the same thing? If so why does God tell us to be strong and to take courage?
Courage is the ability to do something brave out of the motivation of the heart.
Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord…
The hearts of believers who show good courage are strengthened by God…
- How do we get or take courageous strength?
(answer) Courageous strength comes from waiting on God…
Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.
- Who is the all who hope in the Lord?
- So, what motivates the heart to produce courage?
- So, what’s in your heart?
Joshua summoned all the men of Israel and said to the army commanders who had come with him, “Come here and put your feet on the necks of these kings.” So they came forward and placed their feet on their necks.
25 Joshua said to them, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight.” 26 Then Joshua put the kings to death
Good courage is pleasing to God…
- What is good courage?
- Be strong, courageous and diligent
- Make Gods word your guide for all your beliefs and actions
- Study and meditate daily on God’s word
- Seek Gods presence earnestly throughout your life
- These things take courage…good courage…
Believers and non-believers alike can demonstrate and inspire others to demonstrate bad courage…
They encourage each other in evil plans, they talk about hiding their snares
My son, if sinful men entice you, do not give in to them.
(Ever tell a friend to attempt to do something wrong…like smoke or drink…steal…)
God does not approve of evil courage
Even the bravest warriors will flee naked on that day,” declares the Lord.
Bad courage relies on human abilities and motives such as lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and pride.
Listening and Doing
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror
1 John 2:15-16
Not loving the world
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.
- So can we do something brave out of a motivation in our heart that doesn’t honor God? …(Yes)
Good courage relies on the supernatural power of God to strengthen and motivate believers to be courageous as children of God.
3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us
Courage is the ability to do something brave out of a motivation of the heart.
2 Chronicles 16:9
9 The eyes of the Lord roam over the whole earth, to encourage those who are devoted to him wholeheartedly.
We cannot fully serve God without full surrender to His encouragement. His giving us courage…
- Who’s the most courageous Man who ever lived? (Jesus)
- How did He show courage?
- So what are some ways we can show courage? In our every day lives? Tomorrow? Everyday?